Friday, April 12, 2013

Galactose: Diet Edition - Day 3

Today started off with a lot of annoying things to fix, which I talked about in my "day 2.5" post, but after killing the most offending issues, I've gotten something that is getting reasonably close to an initial graybox.

However, I started doing some benchmarking and unsurprisingly, there isn't a lot of leeway on my phone. I'm hoping to be able to improve performance with batching and other techniques with some more time, but I'm still learning about android in general, and have not yet gotten a good grasp of if I'm CPU or GPU bound, or even really what GPU or CPU (or CPU architecture!!) my phone is running, so I have a *LONG* way to go there. I'm hoping I'll be able to run Intel's GPA, but I have no idea if my phone supports it yet (I'm pretty sure it only works on Intel's phone architecture).

I got a bit sidetracked with performance stuff and did not get around to finishing the flight controls, so thats a big priority for tomorrow, since at the moment all you can do is pan the view around the XZ plane and look at motionless models.

Beyond that, I need to implement collision detection, projectiles and some kind of very basic AI (probably gonna go with flocking for the first pass).

It'll be interesting to see how the massively scaled down battle sizes (I'm suspecting I'm going to be limited to 10-20 total draws or so) will affect the gameplay, etc.

On another note, I'm thinking of setting up a blog and/or a twitter tomorrow since Facebook doesn't feel like quite the right format for these posts...

Though, it is nice to be making this kind of rapid progress on something again.

No comments:

Post a Comment